Thursday, April 15, 2010

Help with RAID Arrays

I am new to the concept of RAID arrays and know very little about them. I want to know if I could set up a RAID array specifically RAID 0. I have this motherboard: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2604788%26sku=M450-2402I have this HDD: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=%26langid=EN%26sku_id=0665000FS10036132%26catid= I also have a 40 GB EIDE HDD 7,200 RPMSo to my understanding, if I set up RAID 0, I would get better performance and these HDD's would work as one. Is this correct?Now could someone get me started on how to set up RAID 0, what software do I need, how do I do it? A guide would be nice :)Thanks in advanceHelp with RAID Arrays
Raid really doesn't speed you up where you want it to anyway. Games don't load any faster and boot times slow down. Your motherboard only supports RAID on the SATA ports so you would have to buy two hard drives to do it anyway. Help with RAID Arrays
First, like the above poster mentioned, it doesn't look like you can use your IDE HD's in a RAID array on that mobo, you'd have to buy 2 SATA drives. Second, RAID'ing those drives wouldn't be worth it as the logical drive would only be 80GB because it takes the smallest drive and doubles it. A RAID array is best when used with same sized (preferably the exact same... manufacturer, model, and size) drives. Third, the performance you would get is just not worth it. I dual boot a RAID 0 array with 2 250GB SATA II drives and a single 200GB drive and I can just barely tell the difference.



What I would do with those drives is install the OS on the 40GB drive and keep my data on the other, making it easier to reinstall the OS.

No comments:

Post a Comment