Tuesday, April 13, 2010

';Rattling'; hard drive

I posted here a little while ago for a seperate issue, but I guess that's what happens when you build your own PC. My harddrive, a 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda 500GB 16MB cache, seems to be making a ''rattling'' sound when active. I zip-tied off all wires, so nothing is touching it. The sound is only periodic and appears to be less frequent than the first time I turned it on. (And becoming less frequent as time goes on)
I have a case with a mostly open front, protected with sponge mesh pads. So I suppose any sounds inside the case aren't being muffled at all. This sound seems comparable to the low grumbling sound my old hard drive made while running. Do I have anything to worry about? Is this thing preparing to die? Thanks. ';Rattling'; hard drive
That may be something to worry about or it may not be, but with Seagate you are pretty much covered in any case. Still, I would probably call customer service about it and see if you can find out what the deal is.';Rattling'; hard drive
I build and work with computers, and to me it sounds like the diskette is rubbing/bouncing off of something
[QUOTE=''millerlight89'']I build and work with computers, and to me it sounds like the diskette is rubbing/bouncing off of something[/QUOTE]Should I be concerned if that's the case? I'll call Seagate tech support tomorrow and see what's going on though.
Well you might wanna transfer all your data to another harddrive before you lose that one
[QUOTE=''millerlight89'']Well you might wanna transfer all your data to another harddrive before you lose that one[/QUOTE]I finished building the computer a few days ago so there isn't any data on it that isn't already backed up from my old computer. It's better for them to die now than three years down the road, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment