Tuesday, April 13, 2010

External RAM???

Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop, 2 years old. Maxed out 512MB memory
Runs Illustrator CS2 or Photoshop CS2 slow with complicated files, and it's a joke to try running both at once.Is external RAM possible? How much is it? Where to buy it? I think if I could just double my memory to 1GB I could save a lot of time preparing my Industrial Design portolio stuff.Thanks guys!(BTW within the next year I would get an iMac or Mac mini just to familiarize myself with Apple, but I have 45 days left to finish my portfolio and my slow computer could be my downfall!External RAM???
Great concept, but I've never heard of such a thing. An external bus would have to be much faster than what there is to offer right now...that is why memory ''can't'' be external.External RAM???
I think there was an article about external RAM sometime this week on engadget, somebody who likes looking stuff up should find it.
Is 512MB the most it can support? I doubt it since it's two years old, but it's worth checking with Dell. As for how much to buy, I'd suggest 2x1GB, if at all possible. 2x512MB wouldn't be bad either though, and would certainly offer a huge improvement over what you have now. The only reason I suggest 2x1GB is that it costs around $75 - a pittance for 2x1GB of laptop stuff. If you do go the 2x512MB route though, you will save $30. I suppose it depends on what you feel the computer is worth.
I'm positive the mobo only supports 512MB because the laptop originally had 256 and I bought a 2nd stick and it's full now. So, no external memory at this time it seems?
[QUOTE=''camzaman'']I'm positive the mobo only supports 512MB because the laptop originally had 256 and I bought a 2nd stick and it's full now. So, no external memory at this time it seems?[/QUOTE]That doesn't mean those two slots don't support bigger sticks of RAM. You could take the old two out and put in 2x512MB or even 2x1GB if the laptop supports it.Check Crucial.com and see if your computer can support more.
There are now external PCI-Evideo card enclosures for laptops (lol) but no external RAM...yet.I doubt that 512 is your max...my 6-year-old file server supports up to 3 gigs.
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32446/135/
[QUOTE=''My_name_a_Borat'']There are now external PCI-Evideo card enclosures for laptops (lol) but no external RAM...yet.I doubt that 512 is your max...my 6-year-old file server supports up to 3 gigs. [/QUOTE]It's a 2 year-old $500(at the time) cheapest DELL laptop you could buy...
GO to crucial.com and run the system scanner... it will tell you for sure what you can support and what to buy

No comments:

Post a Comment