Sunday, April 11, 2010

help! i think my cpu is a goner!

So there i was, minding my own business and overclocking my cpu, when everything starts going wrong. I had my core 2 E6600 up to 3.4 GHz (that was as high as i was going to go) and everything was going great. My tempuratures were beautifully low. I ran 3DMark06 and it sucked on the cpu tests, so it made me wonder if i had pushed it too high. With this suspicion, I went to the BIOS, loaded up the defaults,...and it hung. About 10 seconds after loading the OS it will hang, even with all bus speeds and voltages at default settings. The funny thing, though, is that it won't hang in safe mode. I dont know if this is common or not.I then pulled a pentium D out of another machine and put it in, and it works fine, no hang, so the problem has got to be the cpu, right? So why will it run in safe mode? Normally I would just assume that I had fried it, but it happened after restoring the defaults, not after recklessly overclocking or something. Can anyone tell me whats going on? help! i think my cpu is a goner!
Have you tried putting it in again after you took it out?help! i think my cpu is a goner!
[QUOTE=''_SKatEDiRt_'']Have you tried putting it in again after you took it out?[/QUOTE]well actually, i solved the problem when i realized that i was working on a toaster oven and not a computer and that toast crumbs and 400 degree temperatures dont help the cpu at all. also, hair dryers make crappy psu's but they move lots of air and keep it real dry after I dumped the water all over it for cooling. ...yes, i put the cpu back in.

In 3D Mark 06, getting 0-2FPS on the CPU test is how it is meant to be. No CPU's will get over this. :)
I know an after effect of O/Cing when it goes overboard is HD corruption especially with Windows. I can see safemode working, but swapping processor and having it work perplexes me. Do you happen to have a spare HD kicking around that you can re-install Windows on along with the now default set processor? I would think if it still didn't work after that then the CPU is toast.
[QUOTE=''StaticFriction''] [QUOTE=''_SKatEDiRt_'']Have you tried putting it in again after you took it out?[/QUOTE]well actually, i solved the problem when i realized that i was working on a toaster oven and not a computer and that toast crumbs and 400 degree temperatures dont help the cpu at all. also, hair dryers make crappy psu's but they move lots of air and keep it real dry after I dumped the water all over it for cooling. ...yes, i put the cpu back in.[/QUOTE] Mabey you shouldn't be rude if you want help, o and also don't overclock if you do not know what the hell you are doing
[QUOTE=''millerlight89''][QUOTE=''StaticFriction''] [QUOTE=''_SKatEDiRt_'']Have you tried putting it in again after you took it out?[/QUOTE]well actually, i solved the problem when i realized that i was working on a toaster oven and not a computer and that toast crumbs and 400 degree temperatures dont help the cpu at all. also, hair dryers make crappy psu's but they move lots of air and keep it real dry after I dumped the water all over it for cooling. ...yes, i put the cpu back in.[/QUOTE] Mabey you shouldn't be rude if you want help, o and also don't overclock if you do not know what the hell you are doing[/QUOTE]Im as sure as i can be that he was joking so i was responding in kind. Im sorry if you found my momentary indulgence in sarcastic humor to be rude

[QUOTE=''StaticFriction''][QUOTE=''millerlight89''][QUOTE=''StaticFriction''] [QUOTE=''_SKatEDiRt_'']Have you tried putting it in again after you took it out?[/QUOTE]well actually, i solved the problem when i realized that i was working on a toaster oven and not a computer and that toast crumbs and 400 degree temperatures dont help the cpu at all. also, hair dryers make crappy psu's but they move lots of air and keep it real dry after I dumped the water all over it for cooling. ...yes, i put the cpu back in.[/QUOTE] Mabey you shouldn't be rude if you want help, o and also don't overclock if you do not know what the hell you are doing[/QUOTE]Im as sure as i can be that he was joking so i was responding in kind. Im sorry if you found my momentary indulgence in sarcastic humor to be rude
[/QUOTE]Oh, i wasn't calling you an idiot i was just asking if reseating it would do the trick as this has been the case once for me.
call intel tell them it just stopped working properly, DONT TELL THEM YOU OVERCLOCK, they will replace it for you
[QUOTE=''bumsoil'']call intel tell them it just stopped working properly, DONT TELL THEM YOU OVERCLOCK, they will replace it for you[/QUOTE]Yeah agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment