Thursday, April 15, 2010

IE memory leak: need someone skilled with Javascript!

I've had the notorious Internet Explorer memory leak as long as I can remember. All I know about memory leaks and Javascript is that 90% of the time it's caused by a faulty function. The script for IE's home page (AOL.com, ''ugh'') has only 4 of them; 2 at the beginning ---------------------function SymError() { return true; } window.onerror = SymError; var SymRealWinOpen = window.open; function SymWinOpen(url, name, attributes) { return (new Object()); }---------------------
and 2 at the end---------------------
function SymOnUnload() { window.open = SymWinOpen; if(SymRealOnUnload != null) SymRealOnUnload(); } function Sym****) { if(SymReal****!= null) SymReal****); window.open = SymRealWinOpen; SymRealOnUnload = window.onunload; window.onunload = SymOnUnload; } SymReal****= window.**** window.****= Sym**** --------------------- Does anyone know what's causing the link?Edit: For some darn reason, ''0nL04d'' filters out. IE memory leak: need someone skilled with Javascript!
Let me introduce you here good sir, FirefoxIE memory leak: need someone skilled with Javascript!
Lolz, I haven't used IE for over a year! My mom uses IE (I really want her to convert to Firefox or Maxthon) and I can't delete it because the applications (2 of them!) come back so quickly.
Here's what you do: install firefox, then go here: [url]http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/firefox_internet_explorer/[/url]
That's genius!

Have you tried updating to the most recent version of IE?

[QUOTE=''theragu40'']Here's what you do: install firefox, then go here: [url]http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/firefox_internet_explorer/[/url][/QUOTE]How is that gonna fix it? It just changes FF's skin, which I don't want.
[QUOTE=''DarkQuark''][QUOTE=''theragu40'']Here's what you do: install firefox, then go here: [url]http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/firefox_internet_explorer/[/url][/QUOTE]How is that gonna fix it? It just changes FF's skin, which I don't want. [/QUOTE]Yeah, thats definitely the wrong thing there...although there are some guides online to replacing IE with Firefox.
As in physically replacing IE? Googling ''internet explorer replacement'' only gives alternative browsers for IE that do not physically replace IE. Do you know where to find links on what I want?
[QUOTE=''DarkQuark'']As in physically replacing IE? Googling ''internet explorer replacement'' only gives alternative browsers for IE that do not physically replace IE. Do you know where to find links on what I want?[/QUOTE]It involves editing the registry and while I used to have a link to a guide when I had to reload Windows I lost all my old bookmarks..so I don't have it anymore. Pretty much it entails going through the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT folder in the registry editor and replacing all the instances of internet explorer with the location of Firefox.Although I believe there are some programs that automate it I don't know them by name and surely can't vouch for them. Basically its very difficult to really get rid of Internet Explorer as getting rid of it in the Add or Remove Programs tool just disables it and its tied to integral parts of the operating system so you can't just delete all the files relating to it.
...or you can just set your default browser to firefox, and then anything that opens in internet explorer will open in firefox. It's NOT a good idea to get rid of IE completely...some sites (particularly microsoft's site) require it. In those instances, I just use IE tab in firefox, but you need IE installed of that to work. Anyway, OP, why is that skin changer not what you need? It will make firefox look, feel, and browse just like IE, except you will have all the security and open-source benefits of firefox.
Have you tried installing actual Java instead of Microsofts shoddy VM?www.java.com

No comments:

Post a Comment