Friday, April 9, 2010

Scythe Ninja or Big Typhoon VX?

I was thinking which on to get. At first I was really positive to go for the Big Typhoon, but now im having second thoughts. I have been reading a lot of reviews and pics for the past 4 hours now. I would love to go for Scythe because you don't even need a fan (I don't want anything loud). As for the Big Typhoon VX, it has great reviews, has a nice look and easy to install. One of my concern is what if the Scythe Ninja cant fit on my board or my CASE, it is higher than the big typhoon. I know that the Big Typhoon can definitely fit in my case, because its not as thick and high. So I was so irritated to research some more and so I went to www.newegg.com to make my final decision (just for reviews) and I saw this.....



[IMG]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/Jorale_mendoza4/bigtyphoonvx.jpg[/IMG]



[IMG]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/Jorale_mendoza4/ScytheNinja.jpg[/IMG]



They both have practically have the same ratings and good reviews so im puzzled here.Scythe Ninja or Big Typhoon VX?
What is your case? The thermaltake one is not even close to being silient, it pushes a great amount of air but not silient. I would prefer this instead [url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE%26DEPA=0%26Description=zalman+9500%26x=0%26y=0[/url]Its very quiet and is pretty small. Scythe Ninja or Big Typhoon VX?
The thermaltake Big Typhoon VX is not quiet? A lot of reviews says that it is very quiet. I want to try something new though besides the Zalman fans. Can I change the fan of the ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED?

Oh I almost forgot I have some unbranded case, its not small and its not big its just an average sized computer case.
Take a look [url]http://anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=3005[/url]
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
I read the whole thing, yeah it doesn't go much good. but as for quiet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3FcSaYgraU



Well I guess Big Typhoon is out of the picture. How about the Scythe Ninja vs the Zalman CNPS9500?
[QUOTE=''SoberWarock'']I read the whole thing, yeah it doesn't go much good. but as for quiet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3FcSaYgraU Well I guess Big Typhoon is out of the picture. How about the Scythe Ninja vs the Zalman CNPS9500?[/QUOTE]Scythe is more towards the lower end acording to anandtech I have to vote zalman 9500.
[QUOTE=''MondoCool''][QUOTE=''SoberWarock'']I read the whole thing, yeah it doesn't go much good. but as for quiet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3FcSaYgraU Well I guess Big Typhoon is out of the picture. How about the Scythe Ninja vs the Zalman CNPS9500?[/QUOTE]Scythe is more towards the lower end acording to anandtech I have to vote zalman 9500.[/QUOTE]



Alright you got my vote then the Zalman 9500 it is. Is the fan on the 9500 changeable?
the zalman 9700 has an led, isnt that something you wanted?
[QUOTE=''j3ninja10'']the zalman 9700 has an led, isnt that something you wanted?[/QUOTE]



The 9700 is more expensive though so the Zalman 9500 LED it is.
I have been thinking and what if I pair up the big typhoon VX with this http://www.directron.com/sff21d.html



I want to know what exactly is the fan that comes with the Scythe Ninja.
Firstly, the Big Typhoon VX cools better than the Ninja no matter how you want to debate. However look at the price difference of the VX and the Ninja. Its pretty damn far off. Also, at $55, you can get a Thermalright Ultra 120 which does better than the VX already.Second, if you were to get the VX, get a Silverstone FM121-B fan for it instead of the S-Flex. The S-Flex no doubt is a very good fan, but its reliability is just horrible.
i will sell you my zalman cnps 9500 led for $40 with shipping included, it comes with all the accessories, i mean everything, and is in perfect condition.if you want it email me at bumsoil@gmail.com
Yeah I guess I would just go for the Scythe ninja then, because of its price and I could afford a better fan. Does the Scythe ninja come with a fan already or do I have to buy one. I already know it works without a fan, but just to be safe.
Ok to me The Zalman is out of the picture. I read this article (old) and it made sense and I should go with scythe ninja.



''Big Typhoon - probably the most effective cooler I've ever put in a computer. And it's remarkable that such a powerful heatsink is as quiet as a sleeping kitten.



Scythe Ninja - the King of Quiet. I have no doubt this cooler would effectively cool any modern CPU without a heatsink fan. Yes, without! Overclocking, especially a D series Intel dual core, is another matter. But with a fan installed, this beast is indomitable. I would imagine the Ninja in passive configuration could handle an overclocked AMD X2 or dual core Opteron! If money for a heatsink purchase is a discriminating factor, the Ninja is definitely your choice. If you already have a 120mm fan in the parts bin, the Ninja absolutely cannot be beat for it's price.



Zalman CNPS 9500 - I already wrote it above. The Zalman is a work of art and is simply a pleasure to look at. Fine craftsmanship is always a joy. Also, it sure doesn't hurt anything that the 9500 is also major league in cooling ability.''



Here is the full article http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43074



I decided to go with Scythe because it is the least expensive there and has the option of running without the fan so that caught my attention. I still need to know if it comes with a fan though.
Looking at the Anandtech review - if you're going to knock the Big Typhoon off for not being quiet enough, do note that it at full speed still clocked in lower than the 9500 and 9700. That said, I don't tend to trust big site reviews very much on coolers and tend to look at overclocking forums instead.



I'm using the original Big Typhoon (better quiet fan!), and I've got no problems with its performance.. right now it's 27c/30c idle in CoreTemp on my Opty, and it tends to load in the high 40's at this ambient temp level.



And running fanless is not the best idea unless you've got great airflow. It's usually better to just get a quiet fan.. your PSU and GPU are likely making some noise, anyway. :)
[QUOTE=''Makari'']Looking at the Anandtech review - if you're going to knock the Big Typhoon off for not being quiet enough, do note that it at full speed still clocked in lower than the 9500 and 9700. That said, I don't tend to trust big site reviews very much on coolers and tend to look at overclocking forums instead.



I'm using the original Big Typhoon (better quiet fan!), and I've got no problems with its performance.. right now it's 27c/30c idle in CoreTemp on my Opty, and it tends to load in the high 40's at this ambient temp level.



And running fanless is not the best idea unless you've got great airflow. It's usually better to just get a quiet fan.. your PSU and GPU are likely making some noise, anyway. :)[/QUOTE]



Well how quiet is the stock fan for the BIg Typhoon? I know it can push air and has good cooling. I know silverstone fans are nice but www.directron.com dont have silverstone fan and that is the only site that ships out here in mp 96950. The best fan I found in that site is this....



http://store.yahoo.com/directron/sff21d.html



What if I pair up the Big Typhoon VX with that fan, would it be more quiet (could I change the speed with the big typhoon vx's speed controller though?)



Or using this fan http://www.directron.com/sff21f.html with the Scythe ninja.
**UPDATE** I found out that the mounting for both Big Typhoon and Scythe Ninja have horrible mounting for LGA 775.



Every single review for the E4300 from the Scythe ninja HSF sucked. [QUOTE=''REVIEW'']Pros: A big heatpipe cooler that can be installed without removing the motherboard. Installation on a socket 775 system is not as bad as the reviews suggest; the mounting plate uses pins essentially the same as on the Intel stock cooler. You do need a screwdriver with a long, narrow shank to reach the mounting pins through the slots in the cooling plates.



Cons: Very disappointing cooling in my system (e4300 overclocked to 3.1 Mhz.), 3-4 degree temperature drop from the stock cooler. The problem is that the Intel mounting pin system does not let a big cooler sit tightly and evenly on the CPU heat spreader.



Other Thoughts: For a significantly overclocked 775 system, use a backplate-mounted heatpipe instead of the Ninja.[/QUOTE]



[QUOTE=''REVIEW'']Pros: seems to be about the best performance/price I coould find and it does indeed fit onto my DS3 rev 3.3



Cons: didnt keep my E4300 as cool as I had hoped. Doesnt come witha backplate. The tension from the mounting clips tends to bend the board a bit. Backplate might help this.



Other Thoughts: I had no problem installing this onto my brand new DS3 rev 3.3 board. I had about a milimeter of clearance around the caps. The people that say its doesnt fit need to try harder/do it right. Try turning it 90 or 180 degrees and remount it??[/QUOTE]



The Big Typhoon also has bad LGA 775 mounting and so it fell off. here are the reviews



[QUOTE=''REVIEW'']Pros: It cools great when installed correctly



Cons: For LGA775 core 2 users, the installation bracket that is shipped is insufficient to hold this behemoth in place as it will lift off the motherboard. It absolutely needs to be hard mounted into place, which will require motherboard removal and installing screws and bolts. Don't let them trick you into thinking the push pins are going to work! I could physically hold the unit tighter to the CPU and get it to drop about 6 degrees Centigrade.



Other Thoughts: The company should include the hard mounting system, but did not. I asked Thermaltake technical support to help me with the lackluster cooling problem. They would not send me the H-bracket kit, which is required and should be included for LGA775 processors. They did however say I could purchase it at an addtional $8.00 + shipping. This was totally unaccpeptable to me. I suppose I'll send this back for a refund and get something like a Zalman which I'm sure they will back up.[/QUOTE]



[QUOTE=''REVIEW'']Pros: May have cooled very well.



Cons: I spent an hour making sure the dang(not my first choice of words) heatsink would not fall off the motherboard, sadly it uses socket lga775 PINS to mount it, and it fell of when i tuned on my pc. I am very angy.



Other Thoughts: Save some money and buy the other big typhoon. It I will fall under its weight due to very poor mounting pins.[/QUOTE]
Yeah.. that's why I used the original Big Typhoon on my S939. It still used bolt-through with its own backplate, but they also fit the stock 939 backplate.



I pretty much refuse to use a big heatsink that doesn't bolt down.

No comments:

Post a Comment