Sunday, April 11, 2010

First time build: Vista installation disk wont boot

Hey all. I've just chucked together a new PC and everything is working fine...apparently. Unfortunately, when I try and boot with my Vista disk in the drive, I just get a message on the screen saying: 'boot from CD/DVD', and then absolutely nothing happens, and i can't type in anything with my keyboard.
My DVD drive is SATA 2. I've connected the power cable, and that's definately working. The SATA Data cable is orange, and I've plugged it into an orange female sata connector in my motherboard. Next to both of those cables is a group of 6 pins, which I don't have a cable for. Could that be the problem?
Thanks for your help First time build: Vista installation disk wont boot
Your boot order is likely out of order. Make sure you set it for thedisc drive first before your hard drive. Also, don't you have to press any key to boot from the drive. Make sure that keyboard is directly connected to the mainboard. If it's connected to your monitor (or something else that needs drivers) it won't work just yet.First time build: Vista installation disk wont boot
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. As an additional thing, my Zalman 9500 AT CPU cooler isnt working either. Do I have to activate something in the BIOS?
yep, it is probably set to turn on when the cpu temp goes over 50 to make it less quiet, find this in bios and change it.
[QUOTE=''decilling'']yep, it is probably set to turn on when the cpu temp goes over 50 to make it less quiet, find this in bios and change it.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the advice, I'll definately do that when I get my OS to install. Unfortunately, no matter what I do it just says 'boot from CD/DVD', and then nothing. I've noticed that my boot order doesn't 'save' - when I select CDDRIVE as my first boot device and reset, it defaults back to hard drive.
Still won't work. I tried using my old XP Upgrade disk, and that booted, but I couldn't install the entire system as it wasn't a full CD edition. Any tips? I think it's a BIOS problem.
[QUOTE=''grarap'']Hey all. I've just chucked together a new PC and everything is working fine...apparently. Unfortunately, when I try and boot with my Vista disk in the drive, I just get a message on the screen saying: 'boot from CD/DVD', and then absolutely nothing happens, and i can't type in anything with my keyboardMy DVD drive is SATA 2. I've connected the power cable, and that's definately working. The SATA Data cable is orange, and I've plugged it into an orange female sata connector in my motherboard. Next to both of those cables is a group of 6 pins, which I don't have a cable for. Could that be the problem?
Thanks for your help [/QUOTE]This message will come up while any CDDVD disk is in your disk drive. This message does not automatically mean that the disk is bootable.The only other reason for your Disk not booting is if the disk was not burned correctly. There is a way around this problem -- other then reburning the Vista Disk Here is how (requires XP installed first):1. Run the DVD(Vista Installer) from within Windows2. Setup the installer (CD key, where do you want it installed, etc)3. Let the installer copy its data to the HDD-- At the end of the copy your computer will reboot4. Because all the required files were copied before hand, the DVD is no longer required and Vista will boot from a file on the HDD.
My friend's brining a Linux CD around later. I'll see if I can run Vista from within that. Thanks
  • pimple
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment