Friday, April 9, 2010

New Computer Trouble

About a week ago I posted about having troubles with my computer (problems quoted at bottom of post). It seemed the diagnosis was unanimous in it being my PSU. Today I recieved my new PSU (Enermax Liberty; link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194003).After putting in the new PSU I turn on my computer and it makes it past where it previously shut off. I decide to test it out some more and open a game. It was running real glitchy. I try to minimize the screen and suddenly the computer turns off. I start it back up and open BIOS to check the temps. Turns out my CPU was running at 90C. The fan on the CPU is working and the temp on the graphics card was 40C.What could the problem be? Could I have hooked up something wrong on the motherboard to the PSU? Or (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T LET IT BE) did my CPU crap out?My first post is quoted below for more insight and includes my PC stats. Thanks for any help.[QUOTE=''splutty1'']Here's my hardware:Video Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon X1950PRO 256MB

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 650 Prescott 3.4GHz

Motherboard: Foxconn 915A01-P-8EKRS2 LGA 775 Intel 915P ATX Intel Motherboard

Power Supply: COOLMAX CA-450 ATX v2.01 450W Power Supply 115/230 VSymptoms: While browsing the internet my computer shut down without warning. I turned it back on and got to the start up screen where you are able to press 'delete' to enter BIOS. I tried entering BIOS so I could view my CPU temperature but before it could enter BIOS it shut down again. I tried this once more with the same results. I opened up the case and all my fans seem to be working and the CPU didn't appear to be hot. Thirty-minutes later I tried again... same results. A few hours later... still unable to get past the first screen.[/QUOTE]BTW, remember the PSU in the quote was my old one. New Computer Trouble
I think its your cpu cause its pretty old. And since a new psu didnt help idk what to tell ya. Better wait for more replys tho. New Computer Trouble
I just got the CPU less than two months ago so I doubt it's from being too old. I really hope I don't have to spend money on a CPU after spending $120 on a PSU that might not of been the problem after all.More replies appreciated, I really don't know what to do.
[QUOTE=''splutty1'']I just got the CPU less than two months ago so I doubt it's from being too old. I really hope I don't have to spend money on a CPU after spending $120 on a PSU that might not of been the problem after all.More replies appreciated, I really don't know what to do.[/QUOTE]



They still make P4? And why did you get a P4? I reread and you say your CPU is at 90c?! Thats dangerouse right there! You need a new fan im pretty sure they are pretty cheap on newegg.
Are you sure your heatsink is seated properly, and your thermal paste is applied properly? Looks to me like your processor is hitting its safety shut-off point (heat-wise), and shutting down. On the plus side, that means your machine is working just fine, since it recognizes that your temperatures are too hot.
[QUOTE=''RayvinAzn'']Are you sure your heatsink is seated properly, and your thermal paste is applied properly? Looks to me like your processor is hitting its safety shut-off point (heat-wise), and shutting down. On the plus side, that means your machine is working just fine, since it recognizes that your temperatures are too hot.[/QUOTE]



I never thought about that lol figured he knew what he was doing :?
Yea it is the cpu, not the fact it's old but b/c it is way too hot and you may have fried it.
[QUOTE=''millerlight89'']Yea it is the cpu, not the fact it's old but b/c it is way too hot and you may have fried it.[/QUOTE]Replace the heatsink/fan and see if that helps or like the post I quoted said it is fried.
[QUOTE=''LouieV13'']They still make P4? And why did you get a P4? I reread and you say your CPU is at 90c?! Thats dangerouse right there! You need a new fan im pretty sure they are pretty cheap on newegg.[/QUOTE]Yes, much like I realized with my PSU I went a little cheap on the CPU. BTW, the computer was only on for about 5 minutes before it shut down and only about 2 minutes of that was game play. Also, the CPU wasn't always running that high; it's temperatures were ~40C if I remember correctly before I installed the PSU. Unless the CPU was the culprit to my first problem as I was unable to check the temperature once it started shutting down.[QUOTE=''RayvinAzn'']Are you sure your heatsink is seated properly, and your thermal paste is applied properly? Looks to me like your processor is hitting its safety shut-off point (heat-wise), and shutting down. On the plus side, that means your machine is working just fine, since it recognizes that your temperatures are too hot.[/QUOTE]I will check this before I do anything else. I'm hoping this is the problem seeing how it would be the cheapest solution.[QUOTE=''LouieV13''] I never thought about that lol figured he knew what he was doing :?[/QUOTE]Unfortunately, I'm not as computer savvy as I should be when it comes to hardware. I built my last computer 7 years ago when I was 12. If I got stumped while building it my dad would help and surprisingly it had no problems until a few years ago when my graphics card was shot; so I didn't pick up much knowledge from my mistakes. That 7-year-old computer is pretty strong, using it right now to post. :)[QUOTE=''millerlight89'']Yea it is the cpu, not the fact it's old but b/c it is way too hot and you may have fried it.[/QUOTE]I really hope I didn't fry it. During the those two minutes when I was playing the game it was making noises during intense loading. It sounded like how older computers use to sound when they were processing.[QUOTE=''roulettethedog''] Replace the heatsink/fan and see if that helps or like the post I quoted said it is fried.[/QUOTE]If RayvinAzn's solution doesn't work then this will probably be my next plan of action. Is there a way to tell for sure if I fried my CPU though before I spend more money on the heatsink/fan?Thanks again for all the replies, still open for more comments!
Still looking for some more suggestions. Reading my previous problem and my current one does it sound like my heatsink/fan is broke? I didn't feel much heat from it when I turned it on to check temperature. The RPM is at ~2300, is that normal? Also, how will I know if my CPU is already fried? I would probably chuck my computer at a wall if I bought a heatsink/fan and find out I have to buy a new CPU because mine is fried. I can't afford to keep buying parts that may or may not be the problem. If you know a different site that is good for hardware problem solutions please post it; I need all the input I can get.Thanks again.
its kinda too bad you are going through all of this for a p4. You could try returning that PSU and getting a new CPU and fan + heatsink.
[QUOTE=''RayvinAzn'']Are you sure your heatsink is seated properly, and your thermal paste is applied properly? Looks to me like your processor is hitting its safety shut-off point (heat-wise), and shutting down. On the plus side, that means your machine is working just fine, since it recognizes that your temperatures are too hot.[/QUOTE]Some times on old CPU's like the P4 the temp readers don't work. I have experianced this on many Mainboards befor. The main question is Do you have Thirmal past? That the major problem people have with CPU cooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment